Paul Ryan Bingo for "Progressives," Update #5
* Howie Klein posted a drawing of Paul Ryan wearing a dress—and with a flower in his hair—captioned "Ryannella." Belittling a male politician by casting him as an (ick!) girl nabs spot A3, and mocking his name likewise brings home D5.... while also doubling down on the already-chipped non-heteronorm dig. Superlative work, all-in-all, and oh-so-necessary to support his content. (H/t to an anonymous commenter for the link!)
* Though technically, AFAIK, Andrew Sullivan isn't officially a Democrat, few match him as an ardent promoter and defender of Democratic POTUS Obama's transcendent wonderfulness. So, in our judges' view, when he front-pages a reader's takedown of Ryan's alleged wardrobe problem, it's a hit for C1. H/t to Bystander in comments!
* Imani Gandy (Angry Black Lady) at Balloon Juice says au contraire to the buzz that Ryan is a handsome fellow. In fact, using a pejorative that's gone viral, he's "zombie-eyed." (It appears to have been coined by Esquire's Charles Pierce, unless perhaps he's quoting someone?). Zombie-eyed sounds pretty unattractive, so D2 is now chipped. (While she's at it, ABL doubles-down on already-chipped E3, implying a homoerotic attraction on the GOP ticket, because why not?)
* Via Twitter, @KhalidAdad finds C2, guilt by association, on flagrant display, as every unpleasant thing about Ayn Rand is the measure of VP candidate Ryan, per Jan Frel at Alternet.
* H/T to Nathan Fuller for filling in E2, by RTing this from Nation blogger Greg Mitchell: "NYT reveals Paul Ryan, hailed for 'small town' + 'blue collar' appeal, among wealthiest in House, wife is loaded."
* A growing complaint about Ryan is that he's the wrong kind of Catholic, a conservative one instead of a "social justice" one. More directly on the "wrong-sect" point, a DUer says Ryan is practically in the Opus Dei fringe, so A1, take your base!
* Andy Ostroy at HuffPo raises the question whether Ryan is "too young, too brash, inexperienced, foreign-policy neophyte who's simply not ready to be president should something happen to his boss." That (literally) covers E5.
* A liberal Wisconsin blogger calls Ryan a "chickenhawk." That covers space D4.
* Labor journalist Mike Elk says Ryan's "not nearly manly enough to be a leader," chalking up E3.
It's game-on, as Democrats circle the tribal wagons to vilify the GOP VP candidate over trivia and such, as a distraction from how horribly conservative their own ticket is.
The first chips are in:
* A mini-meme links Paul Ryan's widow's peak to Butch Patrick's Eddie Munster character. That's a two-fer, landing bingo chips on E1 and A4.
* Ryan's attacks on Social Security and Medicare are the immediate focus of Dem criticism of Ryan… just days after President Obama was cited in the New York Times wishing the media gave him credit for his readiness to enact cuts to those very programs. This nets C4.
Got links for more chip hits? Please post in comments!
(Note: the date on the card is when the original 'toon was posted.)